
Even though it has been 30 years since I studied Computer Science in college and worked as a computer programmer, I have kept my hand in the world of computing over the years. I owned a Radio Shack TRS-80, one of the first mass-marketed PC's, and created various practical applications using the BASIC language. Our storage device was a cassette recorder! The word processor we used at that time was a hoot - a half second delay on every character. I was an early user of Prodigy on-line service. Later we purchased an IBM-PC and became very familiar with the DOS command line. I used Lotus spreadsheets and created applications in dBase to help my husband with his business

Now I use computers even more for my work and for fun projects. For example, I designed the invitations and programs for my for my daughter's wedding and created a scrapbook for her, all using Phototshop. I created a Sudoku helper using Excel. And I even use several computer applications to help me with my stained glass patterns. At work I constantly use Word, PowerPoint and Excel, I have been able to teach myself how to use some of the more advanced features such as macros, mail merge, string editing, animation, and user forms.
With all my informal education in computers, I am greatly lacking in knowledge of networking. That is why I am glad to be taking this class. I want to get a foundation in networking which I can build upon, and maybe one day even teach a class in it. So, I begin yet another adventure in computing.
photos http://www.atariarchives.org/basicgames/pages/pagecover-trs80.jpg
http://www.landsnail.com/apple/local/design/images/computers/trs80b.gif

No comments:
Post a Comment